- Why did you decide to write a blog?
I decided to write a blog one because I love writing but two because I want to inspire and help others who are also going through the same experiences as me. I know University can be tough and I just want people to know they are not alone. I also want others to know that they can still enjoy life and have fun while in school.
2. It says ‘Anni’ in your introduction, can you speak Ojibwe?
Sadly, no I cannot speak Ojibwe. My grandfather sadly went to a residential school which made him embarrassed to speak his language and as a result, the language was never passed on. However, as an Indigenous student, I want to act as a role model for others and let them know it’s okay to be proud of your culture and practices. It has been recognized that a lot of students won’t self-identify as Indigenous when attending University because of the assimilation, residential schools, and colonization in the past. This has led to the current and unfortunate embarrassment people have for their cultures. Thus, I want people of all cultures, not just Indigenous, to know you can be proud and that you will find people to love you and support you for who you are.
3. Fun Fact: I can make tiny paper cranes
It started when I was in public school, but I can still make these little cranes!
4. Fun Fact: I was on CBC check it out!
I was on CBC, talking about university life, while on the first ever Indigenous focused floor at Western University!.
5. I like to play the piano and sing
I can play ‘Fer Elis’ by Beethoven on the piano and sing Riptide. Here is a video of my lovely boyfriend and I performing ‘Riptide’.
6. I am in a long-distance relationship
I have been in a relationship for a year and 4 months and currently live 7 hours away from my boyfriend (sad panda). However, I can give you all excellent long distance and university relationship advice firsthand!
7. I have my own nail art page and love doing nail designs. PS I will be including nail art how-to’s on my page in the near future!
8. I have my black belt in karate
9. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters
10. I dressed up as Elliot from E.T one year in high school.
Well, those are my 10 facts, I hope you enjoyed them and learned a little bit more about me!